It's finally finished! I've been working on this Sea Captain embroidery for a year and a half and just last weekend I stitched up the last stitches! I was super excited to finish it not only because that would mean I would finally get to enjoy the finished product, but also because it meant getting to watch the magic that is dissolving Sticky Fabri-Solvy.
I'm not sure what exactly inspired me to work on this project again. I think it was the fact that there was only about 25% left of it to complete and I knew it wouldn't take too long. I had put the project down a few months ago because I got a knot in the thread that I just could not get out. Over the years as I have become better at embroidery, I have really avoided having knots in my work as much as possible. This means that I will spend a not insignificant amount of time undoing any knots that I get. When I picked it back up I attempted to get the knot out and then just said screw it and cut the thread. It was rather freeing!
The very last part that I completed was the waves surrounding the piece. I worked on them on a very sad day, the day we somewhat unexpectedly had to put our family dog down. I had gotten the call from my mom after having been at work for only 2 hours. I came home to spend a few last hours with Peanut and I couldn't stop crying. I wasn't really sure what to do all day besides pet that sweet pup so I embroidered and kept my feet warm under the dog. I find crafting to be really soothing to the soul and also a good distraction, so I was grateful to have this project to work on during such a hard day.
When I finished it, I released it from the hoop and stuck it in a pie plate full of water to dissolve the sticky fabri-solvy. I had to change out the water a few times to get all the floating sticky bits out of the water and then I gently rolled it up in a towel and laid it flat to dry. I love the way it turned out! I'm still deciding how I'd like to display it. I'm not opposed to hanging it in a hoop, but I want a cool looking hoop and not a boring plain one. I'm also considering framing it, but I know I'll lose some of the dimensionality behind the glass.
A note on the fabri-solvy. I had used it one other time before, on a much smaller and less intricate project. I really loved using it on this project because it saved me 1. from having to draw so many tiny lines (especially in that hat), and 2. I think my finished product is much more accurate because I know that every single part was printed correctly onto the fabri-solvy. I will say that I should have started in the middle of the piece (which I should've known from my quilting knowledge!) because starting on the outer edge meant that I got a few ripples in the fabric. I think that would've happened even without the fabri-solvy, though, so I'm not going to blame that issue on that. The fabri-solvy does make it slightly more difficult to push the needle through the fabric and it does make the needle a little sticky, but neither of those were dealbreakers for me :) I'll probably pass on the fabri-solvy for less detailed projects in the future, but will definitely continue using it for the more intricate projects.
Started October 2015
Finished Sunday, March 26, 2017.
Pattern is Sea Captain by Cozy Blue
White fabric from Urban Spools (I believe it's Kona cotton)
DMC embroidery floss but I no longer know what number color unfortunately!
I used Sticky Fabri-Solvy instead of tracing the pattern onto the fabric, which in this case would've taken hours due to the intricacy.